Hewlett Packard Vectra 286/12 - Crossing one off of my bucket list

I have had more computers than I can remember in the over 40 years I have been using computers. The one computer system that I never personally owned was an AT class 286. I had 3 Tandy 1000s before moving on to a Northgate 386/20 in 1990. I just skipped over an AT 286. Now I have had 286 Tandy 1000TX and 1000 TL/2 computers, but those are strictly XT class computers, with 8-bit slots and 640K of DOS memory. AT class machines have 16-bit slots and allow for more than 640K using extended memory. Getting back into retro computing, this was not high on list of wanted computers. It was only after getting most of the computer systems I wanted that I started thinking about adding a real 286 AT computer to my retro collection. I started keeping my eye on Craigslist and eBay. I didn't have to wait long before a batch of HP Vectra 286 computers went up for sale on eBay. The starting bid was $100 each. There were 3 ES/12 models and one 286/12. I did some research and found out the 286/12 was the newest. It also had PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports and integrated SVGA. This was the one I was going to bid on. I placed a bid. No else bid on the computer and I ended up getting it for the $100! I couldn't believe I got so lucky. The computer had the following specs as shipped to me:

CPU - Intel 286@12MHz

Memory - 1MB (640K DOS, 384K for extended memory or shadow ram)

Video - Integrated SVGA up to 800x600x16 colors

Multi I/O Card - IDE and floppy controllers with a serial and parallel port

Hard Drive - 42MB IDE (The drive was not working)

Floppy - 1.2MB 5.25" 

HP has an online computer museum and I was able to get the setup utility for this computer from there. The computer arrived in only 4 days and I immediately started working on it. The first order of business was doing a cleaning. The computer was in amazing good shape with only a few minor scuffs on the case. A little Windex cleaned the outside nicely. The inside just needed the dust removed. Some canned air and a boars hair brush took care of that in short order. Thankfully this computer did not use a soldered Ni-Cd battery that can leak and cause serious damage. It used a Rayovac 4.5 alkaline battery. I got a computer battery case from Amazon, clipped the leads off of the old battery and made a new one using 3 1.5v AA batteries.The computer has a proprietary memory slot that I will probably never be able to find the right card for  That being the case, I ended up configuring the computer with 384K of extended memory as this allowed to load DOS in the HMA and my 4DOS command.com replacement can use it to store it's overlay file. I added a 2MB Lo-Tech EMS board for additional memory. This was the overall best use of the memory for my needs. I disabled the onboard SVGA and instead used a Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA video card. I put in a XTIDE BIOS card to allow for larger hard drive support and used a 2GB Compact Flash card using an IDE to Compact Flash adapter running DOS 6.22. I replaced the 1.2MB 5.25" floppy with a Teac FD-505 combo drive that has a 1.44MB 3.5" and 1.2MB 5.25" in one unit. I installed a Sound Blaster 16 CT4170 sound card and put in an Intel 80287XL math coprocessor. Lastly I am using a Xircom PE3-10BT parallel to Ethernet adapter for networking. Here are the final specs:

CPU - Intel 286@12MHz

Math Coprocessor - Intel 80287XL@12MHz

Memory - 1MB and 2MB Lo-Tech EMS board

Video - Cardex ET4000AX ISA video card with 1MB up to 1024x768x256 colors

Multi I/O Card - IDE and floppy controllers with a serial and parallel port

Hard Drive - 2GB Compact Flash card with a Compact Flash to IDE adapter

Floppy - Teac FD-505 combo drive with 3.5" 1.44MB and 5.25" 1.2MB drives

Sound - Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 model CT4170

Networking - Xircom PE3-10BT parallel to Ethernet adapter

The computer has been running flawlessly and I am so glad that I now can say I own a real 286 AT class computer. I am going to keep my eye out for a memory card, but that may be a long wait if it ever happens at all. EMS memory in a 286 is better supported that extended memory anyway. Especially for the DOS programs of that era. Do I have anymore bucket list items I need to obtain? I always keep my eye opened and you never know, I may find something I had not thought of and can add that one too:)

HP Vectra 286/12 front view
HP Vectra 286/12 rear view






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning A $20 Craigslist Purchase Into A 500MHz Gaming Powerhouse

The Little Known Epson Equity Ie - An IBM PS2 Model 30 Clone

386/40 - Fun, Frustration, & Taking It To The Next Level